Monday, August 2, 2010

Waterlogged

By the way, the house is in a flood zone. Half of downtown Jersey City and most of Hoboken are in flood zones as well. Former marshlands, I think. That's why I had to take out a $1,300 annual flood insurance policy just to get a mortgage.

And it turns out, the flood zone designation is pretty accurate. Mid March there was a wicked rain storm. I stopped by Saturday afternoon. Things were okay. My sump pump was growling away. So far, so good.

Later that night I went into the city to see a cousin in town from Ireland. I get a phone call from my neighbor that there's massive flooding and my sump pump isn't working and the water's coming from my house into hers. Well, the pump WAS working. It's just that when it floods, it floods. There's only so much that an old pump can do.

The next morning I stop by, just a little hungover (damn Irish). It's dry, but there was water. Maybe a couple of inches. And this made me happy. Happy? Yes, happy. Because I now know that flooding isn't a remote possibility but a probability, and I can plan accordingly -- french drains, super-duper sump pumps. You know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment