Monday, August 2, 2010

Mortgage, closing, etc

All went well as I got closer to the closing. I was walking into the situation with 20% down, and savings, and buying a place that fit my budget. Since the real estate market crashed, the lending standards have gotten much more strict (ie, normal).

And then....I got turned down.

It was nothing to do with my finances. No, it was because the house has no centralized heating system. It's what's known as a cold-water flat: the stove in the kitchen is larger than normal and there's a heater built into the stove. So it's kind of like a space heater on steroids.

The mortgage company refused to underwrite it: they were afraid of resale. Then came the mad scramble to find another mortgage company. After a frantic week or so all was good. I got a mortgage -- 15 year, I'm ambitious -- and the keys were mine. This was on February 19th.

No comments:

Post a Comment